Friday, December 30, 2016

The Metallurgian's Top Albums of 2016

It's hard to believe that another year has come and gone. I say this every year, but 2016 was another great year for metal. Between work and family obligations, I haven't written much about music this year, but I've still been listening to lots of metal nonetheless. (Hoping and planning on having the time and energy for posting regularly in the new year.) Here are the records that have stuck with me the most and that I can wholeheartedly recommend:

Honorable Mentions:
Stilla - Skuggflock.  Black metal with some interesting twists and turns.

Vainaja - Verenvalaja.  If you liked the debut, you'll dig this, too.

Cobalt - Slow Forever.  When is a double album a good idea? No filler on this, but just a bit long for me.

Bölzer - Hero.  The addition of "singing" really seems to bother some, but I think it works well with the music.

Gatecreeper - Sonoran Depravation.  Some of the best old school death metal I've heard lately.


Favorite Non-Metals:
5. The I Don't Cares - Wild Stab.  Paul Westerberg and Juliana Hatfield working together. Teenage me hopes there's more in the near future.

4. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool.  I'm surprised I still care about Radiohead in 2016.

3. Moonface and Siinai - My Best Human Face.  Spencer Krug has been on a roll.

2. Touché Amoré - Stage Four.  A very personal/emotional album about losing a mother to cancer.

1. Dinosaur Jr - Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not.  J Mascis can do no wrong.


Favorite Metals:
10. Bloodiest - Bloodiest.  Hypnotic and, at times, makes me wonder what a heavy Pearl Jam might sound like.

9. Panphage - Drengskapr.  I may not speak Swedish, but I can still try to sing/shout along from time to time.

8. Mesarthim - .- -​.​.​. .​.​. . -. -​.​-​. . Black metal meets outer space in something that's truly out of this world.

7. The Morningside - Yellow. Very psyched that I discovered this band this year.

6. Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas - Mariner.  The vocals of Julie Christmas take this to a whole new level.

5. Abbath - Abbath.  There's no way that what's left of Immortal can top this.

4. Khemmis - Hunted.  Even better than the debut. Your move, Pallbearer.

3. Alcest - Kodama.  A return to form for Neige.

2. Wędrujący Wiatr - O turniach, jeziorach i nocnych szlakach.  Not sure how this flew so far under the radar of most. Very special, indeed.

1. Saor - Guardians.  As soon as I heard the bagpipes at the beginning of the first track, I just knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment