Monday, August 11, 2014

Free Metals: Conjuro Nuclear - Conjuro Nuclear

Imagine if M83 had grown up in Norway during the second wave of black metal. When I first heard Barcelona's Conjuro Nuclear, Joy Division came to mind, but the more I listened, the more I was reminded of a black metal M83.

Conjuro Nuclear whets your appetite for its sound with opener "Conjuro Nuclear," and for the next half hour, these eleven songs will strangely feel both old and new at the same time.

"Oscura lisergia" is instantly catchy, and I'm pretty sure that its main riff will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day. After hearing this track, I had a hunch about the rest of the record. Keep listening, and you'll see what I mean. "Divinorum," "Intoxicación," and "Visiones tóxicas" showcase exactly what this band is all about.

Conjuro Nuclear features three synth instrumentals (synth-strumentals?), adding depth and atmosphere to the release.  These songs, in fact, have a certain movie-score quality that separates the "scenes" very effectively.

When closing track "Sólo para locos," whose lyrics are taken from Hermann Hesse's The Steppenwolf, howls its last howl, it turns out that my hunch was right - this album's a keeper.

Conjuro Nuclear is available from the band's bandcamp page and can be downloaded at the "Name Your Price" option here.

No comments:

Post a Comment